Christmas Traditions 2016-2017
It seems like a gross understatement, but I'll make it anyway: December is a busy month for our family. One of our unspoken rules is to value experiences over things, to value time with family and friends rather than time in front of screens or toys. Most of the year, I like to think that this ethos leads to balance in an increasingly excessive world. However, in December, which Moira and Hannah proclaim currently as their favorite time of year, the focus on experiences and time with family and friends leads to a calendar that is at times overwhelming and exhausting. Nonetheless, I wouldn't change our approach, and the memories that we've created together are lasting.
Below are some of the highlights of our Christmas traditions over the last couple of years. I've also put together a fun video that includes school performances and lots more photos surrounding each of the traditions outlined below. You should be able to link to it below.
Breakfast with Santa is a fun tradition that we began 2 years ago at our church. It's a fundraiser, and the girls have a good time with their friends. Last year, in 2017, my parents came along too, and it was funny to me because Moira is quickly getting too old in her mind to sit on Santa's lap. Where does time go?!
In 2016, Moira and Hannah were both in dance classes and participated in the annual Holiday Hoopla performance. Hannah did a tap version of Jingle Bell Rock and Moira did a witty dance to I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas. As you can see from the photos, they both did well as burgeoning performers.
Another tradition I love at St. Pius is the Christmas Pageant. The girls were angels two years in a row, and the sharing of the Christmas story lasts about 30 minutes or so. I love the Christmas carols that the choir sings and the way that all of the children who are interested can be part of the program.
Holiday parties at school abound as Christmas vacation gets closer and closer, and I loved Mrs. Catt's (Hannah's kindergarten teacher) approach. On the last day before break, she had the kiddos dress in PJs for fun, and they read holiday-themed books, made miniature graham cracker houses, and made elf hats.
Yuletide at the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra is an annual tradition that my parents have been gracious enough to share with all of us for many, many years. The girls love the variety of performances (as do I), and we also have fun dressing up for the occasion, seeing the many stuffed creatures meandering around the lobby, and of course eating delicious iced cookies with hot chocolate or milk.
Below are photos from the annual Christmas Eve mass said by Fr. Paul, a good friend of my parents. And afterwards, there is a photo of Santa coming to visit my parents' annual Christmas Eve party at their house. We have fun seeing old family friends every year before heading home to ensure all presents are under the tree and cookies and milk are set out for Santa.
Christmas morning always goes by so fast. The excitement of going to bed the night before coupled with the pitter patter of feet coming down the stairs to see what presents are by the fireplace is hard to capture in words. I delight in watching the girls and Alan before getting ready to host our family for an early brunch. And I love the time our little family has after everyone has left to play and laze around in our pajamas.
Christmas Evening has morphed over the years but has always been about celebrating my birthday. The last few years we have gone to Benihana, which is a hit with the kiddos and great food for us as well.
Below are more photos of Yuletide in 2017. The girls had fun oscillating between some amazing box seats with Grandma and Grandpa and seats on the floor with Alan and me.
Since I started working at EmployIndy, we've had two delightful holiday parties at the Cheney residence. Last year, in 2017, we had to dress up in "ugly sweaters," and I absolutely love the 1970s sweater that was my dad's that Alan wore. It cracks me up every time I look at this photo.
Both Alan and I turned 40 in December 2017, and we celebrated Alan's birthday in a suitably low-key way. The girls made him cards, and we had a delicious ice cream cake together.
We took in a new tradition at Newfields (the Art Museum). My parents are members and love the IMA. This year, they decorated the grounds with amazing light displays timed to music, and it was absolutely gorgeous.
Moira is decent at ice skating, so we tried to check out Carmel's outdoor ice skating rink during the height of their new Christkindlmarket shopping hours. Unfortunately, it was so crowded that we missed the window this year. Hopefully we'll revisit this fun outing next year!
The Christmas Pageant at St. Pius in 2017 was very similar to 2016 except that my friend asked me to act as the "choir director" and sing the Christmas carols that I loved while Moira and Hannah acted as angels in the pageant (see if you can find them below). It was fun.
The girls did well in their holiday music performances at Allisonville. The pictures below are not nearly as good as the performances themselves, so you should go to YouTube and watch the video!
Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and my birthday celebration at Benihana in 2017 had many similarities to 2016, but one important difference is that when I arrived at my house after all of the festivities on Christmas day, my brother's family was waiting (a wonderful surprise!). More on all of the family and friends we see after Christmas soon.

Comments