Letter to Moira on her 8th birthday
Dear Moira,
On your 8th birthday, I wrote you an acrostic poem: M is for magnificent, O is for original, I is for intelligent, R is for risk-taker, and A is for Amazing, which spells M-O-I-R-A. It's true, you know.
Magnificent means "impressively beautiful, splendid, striking" and you do make our days magnificent just by being you. Your beautiful smile lights up our world, and the jokes and comedy that you like to share these days with Daddy, Hannah, and I are truly splendid (as is your reaction).
You are also truly an original kiddo. You do things in your own time. You love to write books that are so imaginative, and you become truly engrossed in whatever story is being told through whatever medium (books, TV, movies, or theater, your favorite). You also love playing with dolls and devising crazy plots with your sister! You are also very into cooking and baking at the moment. Your favorite dish is veggie spaghetti.
Moira, never doubt the gifts and talents that you have within you. Let your light shine! This includes your intelligence. You ask the most intriguing questions of us, and sometimes I feel like I scramble to find the right answer. I love that you challenge us and that you love learning. That's the key to unlocking this crazy world--so never forget the power you have just in your ability to inquire and connect.
You are a risk-taker. You're not afraid to try new things, and your adventurous spirit is contagious! I was so proud of you last summer when you road a bike in the Netherlands all by yourself, and you were also so independent when we went on a walk in Dartmoor. You were climbing to the tippy-top of the tors there! You made me a bit nervous, but luckily Daddy was there with you.
Amazing. You are an amazing daughter, sister, granddaughter, niece, and friend. Your friends' moms comment to me often on how kind you are, and I see how much you love everyone who is close to you in your life. You continue to impress and surprise us, and I cannot wait to see what 2017 brings for you, my darling girl.
I love you, Moira, beyond words! Happy 8th birthday!

Comments