August 2017: State Fair, Solar Eclipse, Kickball, Go Girl Triathlon, and more!

This post is an amalgamation of a lot of different events in August. 2017 was officially busier than 2016, and this is probably the trend that will continue as the girls get older. Here goes...

This year at the State Fair, we made an entire day of it for the first time! The girls are old enough to walk everywhere (not that they don't complain sometimes), and they indulged me in checking out exhibits at the 4-H center and on "food around the world." I am a learner at heart, I guess! They also made sure to let me know that next year we need to get the bands for the Midway because they could have stayed there all day long. But I managed to pry them away to meet their cousins at Pioneer Village, where we made our way to the Little Hands farm and the Midway for the little ones.

Love the covered bridge at the State Fair

So happy that we are in the "peace sign" stage of taking photos

Hannah elected to spend her budget on this game, with a guaranteed prize

Digging for 100-year old coins in the girl scout tent

A tribute to Daddy

Our traditional photo on the tractor wheel. They're so big!

Pioneer Village games

Hannah and her love for tractors (and photos)

Hanging out in the petting zoo

Our attempt at a photo with our on-the-go toddler niece and nephew

The whole crew on the little carousel

Moira and Hannah were both brave on this slide. They flew down it! Aunt Kate wasn't half bad in revisiting a slide like this after decades either! Love these videos capturing the moment.




Celebrating the year of food
The girls, especially Moira, have lots of friends this year who stop by to play on Saturdays. A few of the neighbors in her 3rd-grade class even started something called the "biker club" where we let them ride around the neighborhood in the afternoon to a few select houses to play. Below is a Saturday afternoon in our back yard playing with a neighbor.


The Solar Eclipse was a big deal this year because it crossed the entire United States for the first time in a long time. The "path of totality" was just south of us, but Indy was at roughly 94% totality. The girls were able to enjoy moon pies a great soundtrack while watching the eclipse at school, and I stepped out of the office to take a look too. It was impressive, but I was glad I wasn't stuck on the highway like some people for hours on end coming back from the solar eclipse "totality" towns. 





Moira has glasses! This happened this year when she failed her physical at the Little Clinic because she couldn't see properly! I felt so badly, but apparently because she has grown a lot her eyes can change fast, and she hadn't complained. 


Moira joined her friend Naomi at St. Pius to play kickball this year. She loved being a part of the team and was proud that her team went undefeated until the last game of the year. I was amazed at how seriously everyone took 3rd-grade kickball! 



And last, but certainly not least, Sarah and Kate convinced me to do the Go Girl Sprint Triathlon at Eagle Creek park. I did not train very much at all, but I was able to make it through the triathlon in one piece and loved running to the finish line with Sarah! It was an amazing accomplishment, something I never thought I would do, and I managed to make it happen on a beautiful fall day! Mom and dad, Scott and the twins, and Alan and the girls all came to cheer us on!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random Moments

To Hannah, With Love

Time flies!