Letter to Hannah at 5 years old
Dear Hannah,
Where do I begin? My heart overflows with joy and gratitude when I stop for a moment to think about how much you bring to our family just simply by being you. It seems appropriate to start off with a fun video of you and your sister being "Science girls" together where you really take the lead on explaining the details of the "catapult" you made in preschool. You can go to: https://youtu.be/9k7WQPo5vLg or watch below to check out your articulate and funny analysis.
Kind and Caring
I have so many memories of you, Hannah, where you are trying to comfort or help another person, whether kid or adult. You work to make sure your new cousins don't cry for too long, and you help your classmates if they are feeling down (according to your teachers). You're the same way with your sister, and you give the best hugs. I hope that lasts forever!
Imaginative
You believe that you own the Children's Museum after your two years of preschool there, and they have really encouraged you to dive deep into your creative and imaginative sensibilities. You and your sister are constantly making up scenarios at home, whether you are sailing on a boat at the beach, creating a restaurant that only serves items containing bananas, or acting as the cashier at the shop that is selling jewelry and stuffed animals! I hope that you continue to be imaginative and playful as you move forward into your Kindergarten years.
Artistic and Articulate
You amaze me with your love of art in all of its mediums. You love going to the Art Museum but you also love creating art at home. You love to sing, play the piano, draw, paint your rock collection, make little tiny books, and so much more!
You are also extremely articulate. While I think you have benefited in part from having your older sister as a role model who loves to read and make books of her own, I also think you just have an ear for language. One of my favorite things that happens when I listen to you remains your tendency to use the suffix "ed" in the same way Shakespeare does. You don't say: "We "learned" this in school today," you say "we learn-ed this in school today," You also remember and use words that surprise me all of the time, and I will never forget reading with you at night and watching you discover new words.
Easygoing yet Competitive
You are inclined to go with the flow most of the time, but you do have an independent and stubborn streak. When something doesn't go your way, you will definitely let us know, but most of the time we can talk you into understanding why it has happened. Sometimes it doesn't quite work out, like the day that Daddy painted your face around Moira's birthday (also near Halloween) and then you lost the game of musical chairs and faceplanted in despair, thus revealing a cat face on our sofa.
Social Butterfly
You continue to be the most outgoing and social person in our family. You love making new friends, seeing old friends, playing with friends--it doesn't really matter! And you pick up with your friends right where you left off all of the time. I love listening to you tell me about your school days and all of the friends you play with on a routine basis. You never seem to meet a stranger, and I hope that you will remain that way throughout your life.
Where do I begin? My heart overflows with joy and gratitude when I stop for a moment to think about how much you bring to our family just simply by being you. It seems appropriate to start off with a fun video of you and your sister being "Science girls" together where you really take the lead on explaining the details of the "catapult" you made in preschool. You can go to: https://youtu.be/9k7WQPo5vLg or watch below to check out your articulate and funny analysis.
Kind and Caring
I have so many memories of you, Hannah, where you are trying to comfort or help another person, whether kid or adult. You work to make sure your new cousins don't cry for too long, and you help your classmates if they are feeling down (according to your teachers). You're the same way with your sister, and you give the best hugs. I hope that lasts forever!
Imaginative
You believe that you own the Children's Museum after your two years of preschool there, and they have really encouraged you to dive deep into your creative and imaginative sensibilities. You and your sister are constantly making up scenarios at home, whether you are sailing on a boat at the beach, creating a restaurant that only serves items containing bananas, or acting as the cashier at the shop that is selling jewelry and stuffed animals! I hope that you continue to be imaginative and playful as you move forward into your Kindergarten years.
You amaze me with your love of art in all of its mediums. You love going to the Art Museum but you also love creating art at home. You love to sing, play the piano, draw, paint your rock collection, make little tiny books, and so much more!
You are also extremely articulate. While I think you have benefited in part from having your older sister as a role model who loves to read and make books of her own, I also think you just have an ear for language. One of my favorite things that happens when I listen to you remains your tendency to use the suffix "ed" in the same way Shakespeare does. You don't say: "We "learned" this in school today," you say "we learn-ed this in school today," You also remember and use words that surprise me all of the time, and I will never forget reading with you at night and watching you discover new words.
Easygoing yet Competitive
You are inclined to go with the flow most of the time, but you do have an independent and stubborn streak. When something doesn't go your way, you will definitely let us know, but most of the time we can talk you into understanding why it has happened. Sometimes it doesn't quite work out, like the day that Daddy painted your face around Moira's birthday (also near Halloween) and then you lost the game of musical chairs and faceplanted in despair, thus revealing a cat face on our sofa.
Digitally Literate and Sharp Memory
So, I know that I take lots of photos, but Hannah, you have definitely shown an interest in my phone and especially in the photos that I have taken. You request that your photo be taken sometimes, and you love to take photos of other people. Your ability to maneuver and use the camera well to frame a shot continues to surprise me! I often wonder if this contributes to your sharp memory. You remind me of things that happened months ago, and I have hardly any recollection most of the time. You definitely keep me on my toes!
Cautiously Adventurous
Hannah, you will try anything (except going under water) if your family is involved and asking you to do it. You're very careful about the risk you might take, so you are cautiously adventurous about everything--going on a roller coaster ride, a bike ride, a boat ride, etc. But 99% of the time you decide to do it, and you never regret it. I've had fun watching you make progress on your bike and your scooter, and I know that some day you will be comfortable with putting our head under water. Right?
Social Butterfly
You continue to be the most outgoing and social person in our family. You love making new friends, seeing old friends, playing with friends--it doesn't really matter! And you pick up with your friends right where you left off all of the time. I love listening to you tell me about your school days and all of the friends you play with on a routine basis. You never seem to meet a stranger, and I hope that you will remain that way throughout your life.
So, as your turn five and get ready to seek out new adventures, I hope that you will always carry with you in your heart how much we love you and all of the things that make you unique--your kindness, your humor, your articulate nature, your love of art and music, your easygoing ways, your competitive bent, your sharp memory, and your love of animals as well as friends and family. You are an amazing daughter, and I love you to the edge of the universe and back, my darling.










Comments