Moira turns 7!
Dear Moira,
Even though I am writing this post to you many months after your 7th birthday, I want you to know that I still remember vividly your 7th birthday, and, more importantly, some critical characteristics that make you the fantastic young lady that you are today.
Kindness
It's so fun to be your mom because I have lots of parents of other children come up to me (fairly frequently) and tell me how kind and thoughtful you are. Or they tell me how inclusive you are to other kids you don't know very well. It may be at a birthday party or on the playground or at a friend's house...it doesn't really seem to matter. I cannot tell you how proud I am of you, and I hope that you become even kinder as the years pass by. Our world certainly needs more kindness.
Independence
You like to do things on your own. You like to do your own hair. You like to pick out your own clothes. You like to ride your bike on your own. You go down waterslides all by yourself! You are helping out more and more around the house--doing dishes, laundry, and even cooking! And you really would prefer it if I were not around to help you.
Also, you've told me about a few children who have done things at school that are unkind to you or others. We've talked about how important it is to stand up to those actions, and you've followed through! You made sure your friend on the bus returned the little pony that she took. This makes me so proud as well because while you can always work to be kind to others, you also cannot let them take advantage of you. It's a fine line, and you're walking it so well!
Adventure
You continue to try new things...like another round of ice skating, joining Girl Scouts, gymnastics with the bigger kids, an acting class, and so much more. You love to travel and go to hotels (especially if there's a swimming pool involved), and you will also try new foods, even when you're pretty sure you won't like them much! I'm sure sometime in the next year you'll be adventurous to go to movies (up until now you haven't liked going to movies much because of your wild imagination).
Unlocking your imagination
You seem to love reading as much as I did when I was your age. I've enjoyed watching you get lost in a simple chapter book, and I love watching you and your sister create imaginative worlds based on those books or other moments of inspiration.
In short, my darling, it is an honor to be your mom and to watch you as you continue to grow and evolve. I love you all the way to the edge of the universe and back.
Even though I am writing this post to you many months after your 7th birthday, I want you to know that I still remember vividly your 7th birthday, and, more importantly, some critical characteristics that make you the fantastic young lady that you are today.
Kindness
It's so fun to be your mom because I have lots of parents of other children come up to me (fairly frequently) and tell me how kind and thoughtful you are. Or they tell me how inclusive you are to other kids you don't know very well. It may be at a birthday party or on the playground or at a friend's house...it doesn't really seem to matter. I cannot tell you how proud I am of you, and I hope that you become even kinder as the years pass by. Our world certainly needs more kindness.
Independence
You like to do things on your own. You like to do your own hair. You like to pick out your own clothes. You like to ride your bike on your own. You go down waterslides all by yourself! You are helping out more and more around the house--doing dishes, laundry, and even cooking! And you really would prefer it if I were not around to help you.
Also, you've told me about a few children who have done things at school that are unkind to you or others. We've talked about how important it is to stand up to those actions, and you've followed through! You made sure your friend on the bus returned the little pony that she took. This makes me so proud as well because while you can always work to be kind to others, you also cannot let them take advantage of you. It's a fine line, and you're walking it so well!
Adventure
You continue to try new things...like another round of ice skating, joining Girl Scouts, gymnastics with the bigger kids, an acting class, and so much more. You love to travel and go to hotels (especially if there's a swimming pool involved), and you will also try new foods, even when you're pretty sure you won't like them much! I'm sure sometime in the next year you'll be adventurous to go to movies (up until now you haven't liked going to movies much because of your wild imagination).
Unlocking your imagination
You seem to love reading as much as I did when I was your age. I've enjoyed watching you get lost in a simple chapter book, and I love watching you and your sister create imaginative worlds based on those books or other moments of inspiration.
In short, my darling, it is an honor to be your mom and to watch you as you continue to grow and evolve. I love you all the way to the edge of the universe and back.




Comments