May is a very busy month. Mother's Day, my annual trip to D.C. for work, and end-of-preschool celebrations kept all of us on our toes. The girls both performed in the YMCA preschool celebration, Moira played a role in the Children's Museum preschool celebration as well, and then Moira "graduated" from preschool at the YMCA. It's hard to believe she'll be starting kindergarten in August. Below is a video highlighting all of the celebrations or you can click on the link
here.
YMCA Parents' Day
Hannah and Moira did a lovely job of singing (or shouting, depending on the moment!) two or three songs celebrating parents and the end of the school year. Hannah's highlight was a cute song about rainbows, and Moira's highlight was the B-I-N-G-O song revamped to focus on how much they love M-O-M-M-Y and D-A-D-D-Y. Moira's class had a couple of very loud shouters, but I thought she did a decent job of holding her own. Afterwards, the girls were very excited to give us the gifts that they had made, and it was a bittersweet moment for me because we're not going to enroll Hannah in the Y preschool next year, so it's the last time we'll see all of her fantastic teachers.
 |
| Paige (teacher's aid), Hannah, and Mrs. Horton |
 |
| Moira and Mrs. Yarling |
 |
| Moira and Miss Byers |
Mother's Day and D.C.
We had everyone over to our house for Mother's Day. Aunt Kate and Uncle Scott put together two adirondack chairs and painted them for mom, and the girls made her presents. We had Les and Linda come over as well, and they gave Hannah a belated birthday gift that she loved (puzzles are one of her favorite things). The girls also gave me a nice little gift, and we had a fine day together before I left the following morning for my annual trip to Washington D.C. for work. I had a great time learning at the conference and catching up with old friends in the few spare moments I had.
 |
| Verena and I |
 |
| Monica and I |
I left the conference early to ensure I could make it home to see Moira in her most excellent performance at the Children's Museum. The teachers read books, and the students act them out. This year, Moira's class story was "The Little Red Hen" and she was a brown mouse. Then, at the end, the entire school sings a song. I'm still anxiously awaiting the DVD of the performance because the song was so much fun. They re-wrote "On Top of the World" by Imagine Dragons to be all about the Children's Museum year, and it was so well done. At the end, the preschool staff put together a slideshow of all of the children and their adventures throughout the year that literally made me cry because my little girl is off to Kindergarten next year, and I just can't believe how fast she has grown.
 |
| Moira and mom selfie |
 |
| Little Red Hen performance |
 |
| On Top of the World |
 |
| Moira and Mr. Wurthmann |
 |
| Moira and Miss Hosey |
Last, but certainly not least, in May we celebrated Moira's "preschool graduation" at the YMCA. I must admit that I was a bit skeptical about a graduation ceremony for 4- and 5-year-olds, but in the end, I thought the Y did a great job of celebrating the students' successes in an age-appropriate way. The ceremony started off with all of the children walking to their chairs with "Pomp and Circumstance" in the background, then they performed sign language to a song, and then they each had their name called as they crossed the "bridge to kindergarten." There was also a wonderful poem that their teacher read about the importance of play for young children. The lasting memory for me will be watching Moira smile atop the "bridge to kindergarten," leisurely walk down one step, and then bound off the last step with a perfect little leap. It was so, so Moira. She was very proud of herself, as she should be. She's definitely ready for kindergarten!
 |
| Waiting for the ceremony to begin |
 |
| Their little chairs all lined up |
 |
| Moira walking in (and celebrating already?) |
 |
| Moira right after she saw us! |
 |
| Performing her song |
 |
| Atop the bridge... |
 |
| ...Pausing...and the leap you have to see in the video! |
 |
| Running to us afterwards! |
 |
| The proud preschool graduate |
 |
| Love this photo Uncle Scott captured |
 |
| Some of Moira's biggest supporters |
 |
| And perhaps my favorite photo of the girls from that day. |
More to come soon on our summer adventures!
Comments