To Moira, With Love

Moira,

Where have five years gone? It seems like only yesterday that you were a baby in my arms, smiling at me with those little dimples of yours. What a year you've had! We have watched you grow into a strong-willed and outgoing little girl as well as a loving and doting big sister.



I love to watch you playing with your dad and sister. Your imagination is truly remarkable, and you routinely create games where everyone has to follow the rules you've just invented. You also like to lead your little sister on adventures, and usually a paper telescope is a critical component of the adventure. You're very into hide-and-seek, and you do a fantastic job of leading all of us in playing that game. You also like to pretend by dressing up as a princess, a doctor, a cook, and who knows what else!




I love to watch you play outside. You get so very excited about going to playgrounds, swinging (which you mastered this year), going down slides, climbing, and more. You've fallen in love with our new back garden and neighborhood, and now you like to climb trees, ride your bike, and go on walks.





I love to watch you learn. Your teachers at both the YMCA and the Children's Museum report that you are a joy to have in the classroom. Here are some highlights from your report card. You have "quickly developed strong, meaningful friendships through her willingness to lend a helping hand, fun personality, and imaginative pretend play...Moira is a leader in our classroom...She makes strong connections between classroom materials, literature, and activities with her own personal experiences." Well done, my darling.




I love to watch you "write" stories. When I ask you what you are going to be when you grow up, you say: "Maybe I will be an author." You routinely work with your dad, grandma, Linda, or me to write the perfect story, complete with illustrations and a list of books on the back page that come next in the series. Some of my favorites include: "The Dark Autumn," "The Perfect Jammies," and "Twin Babies."



I love it when you ask difficult questions. We've established that Daddy knows all the answers (except to the mystery questions). You try both your Dad and me with some of your questions. Some of the highlights include: Who was the first human to be born on this earth? Why can't we leave earth in a rocket ship and live somewhere else? Why are there little girls? Why do we have Christmas trees? Why did God make bugs?

I love it when we go on "road trips." You get so excited about staying in a hotel, and visiting new places. You remember that we went to the tallest building and saw the big fish in Chicago, rode the train at the zoo in St. Louis, went on the Polar Express and played at the water park in French Lick, and more!



I love to watch you dance and do gymnastics. You work hard to do exactly as your instructor asks you to do. And you love learning all of the terminology and having fun at the same time. Currently, your favorite thing to do is jump in the pit.




I love to watch your persistency with swimming and biking. You like riding your bike, but you're not quite ready to go without training wheels yet. You keep practicing and practicing, and I know you'll get there next summer. And swimming! You've really worked hard to find a level of comfortability in the water, and I am so very proud of your persistence in going to swimming every week. Your teachers are seeing great progress, and I'm sure that by the time you're six you will be swimming like a little fish!


I read this letter to you, and you asked me to add one thing--you like to watch movies too! True statement. There are so many things that you like to do, and I cannot wait to see what the next year brings. We love you Moira!

PS--you were 44.5 inches tall, and you weighed 44.5 pounds at your 5th birthday appointment. You're still trending on the tall side...pretty soon you'll pass me by, I have no doubt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random Moments

To Hannah, With Love

Time flies!