The Fair!


Hello Steinmeier! It's a neighborhood nestled in the northeast corner of Indianapolis, and it has just a bit of history to it. According to the neighborhood handbook, "construction began in 1966 on the farmland of the Steinmeier family. The neighborhood of 330 homes became a premier suburban neighborhood of Indianapolis (well before the development of I-465 (the Interstate loop around Indianapolis) and Castleton (a large shopping mall), and continues to be one of the premier neighborhoods, now urban, of northeast Indianapolis."

So, this description is perfect in my mind because Alan and I searched all of Indianapolis for months trying to find the perfect home within our price range. He wanted the suburbs, and I wanted more urban for a whole host of reasons. This neighborhood seems to be the perfect mix of both, and it has a great family vibe (lots of little children all around). It also has sidewalks everywhere, and one could choose to walk to the local shops. It's been so much work to get acclimated, and I'll share with you more details in the coming month. In the meantime, though, I thought I would share one of our family outings to the State Fair, which we did the weekend after we moved into the neighborhood.

We walked to the "train station" that is literally called "Steinmeier station." I can only assume that the historic train which runs during the fair used to make regular stops at Steinmeier station, which is now a professional building for local doctors, dentists, lawyers, etc.

Our new neighborhood

The Station

The train only operates during the State Fair

Sisters waiting for the train!

Here it comes!

The girls and I
Alan and Moira
Once we arrived at the fair (it was about a 20-minute ride), we headed straight for the "little farmers" area. This is where the girls learn a little bit about the rigors of farming and all that it entails. In my mind, it's a fairly idealized experience, but I'm glad they had the chance to understand from where food comes!
Putting on their aprons

In the grain silo

Planting seeds so that peppers will grow

Looking at tomato plants

Tractor mural

"Riding Tractors"

Feeding the Cow

After they'd finished their farming experience
The thing I like most about the little farmers' experience is that after they do all of the "hard work" of harvesting the crops, they bring their items to market, receive a payment, and then get to pick a treat. After that experience, we had the most amazing Amish pretzels and then headed to the DNR building. We happened upon a fishing pond, and it wasn't that busy. The girls had the best time fishing for the first time! Experienced fisherman gave them all of the important rules of fishing properly, and then they turned the kids loose. Moira impressed me because she held the fish she caught without blinking an eye. I thought she might be a bit wary, but she wasn't at all.



Moira fishing


Hannah attempting...
Hannah was wary...

Moira and her first fish!
After the fishing expedition, we headed up to the building where all of the artistic competition entries are displayed. Scott entered a number of beautiful photographs into the competition, and he did well. My favorite (and Alan's) is the one of Hannah peeking over a picnic table.










On the way out, we walked through the covered bridge and stopped to get balloons, not to mention some delicious grilled cheeses and milkshakes from the Dairy Barn. It was a great day at the fair, and the train ride home was just as exciting as the one we took to the fair for the girls.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random Moments

To Hannah, With Love

Time flies!