Where to begin? Thanks to an exceptional colleague and friend, I have been working in education and training at the Department of Workforce Development for about 2.5 years. As my responsibilities have evolved, it has become increasingly important to share some of the initiatives we have spearheaded, particularly in adult education, with a national audience. Thus, I find myself traveling more and more. Although I have mixed feelings at times (this time because I left Hannah and Alan behind on this trip to Virginia) about the success I have at striking a work/life balance, I hope my girls will grow to appreciate the fact that their mother is passionate about the work she is doing. I often wonder if all the dads out there who work find themselves in similar conundrums about work/life balance; I suspect not as much as the moms struggle. I take great comfort in the fact that Alan does an amazing job with our girls when he is home with them. It also helped to know that Hannah won't remember that I left her side for an entire week (until she is old enough to read this blog)!
Because the COABE (Commission on Adult Basic Education) Conference was located in Norfolk, VA, we decided that Mom and Moira would come along as my Aunt Jean and family only live an hour away. So, while I was busy presenting on all the work we had done to transform adult education in Indiana, Moira was having an amazing time with her "cousins." And Hannah was having a great time with her Dad (though we have no pictures to record this fact).
 |
| At the playground with Mackenzie and Leila |
 |
| More fun at the playground |
 |
| Snack time! |
 |
| I think the bridge was her favorite! |
 |
| You can catch Aunt Jean in the background of this one! |
 |
| Cuddling with Leila after a looong day! |
After her playground adventure the day before, Moira and Ryan (who are almost exactly two years apart in age--just like their moms) took on the miniature golf course. This was Moira's first exposure to miniature golf. Now, as you may know, I am not the most athletically talented individual. I am starting to suspect that Moira has more of my athletic prowess (or lack thereof) than her father's. She also has my strong will. Apparently, it was quite the combination on the golf course. Both Grandma and Grandma Jean were laughing so hard they were practically in tears as they described Moira's desire to hit the ball into the hole without any help from anyone else. She also managed to hit the ball into the pond, and she laid flat on the ground at the end, stuck her arm down the hole, and tried to grab back her ball that "magically" disappeared on the last hole. She is hilarious.
 |
| Ryan looks like he's right on target |
 |
| Grandma Jean trying to help Moira |
 |
| Having a great time! |
 |
| Very cute |
 |
| She was thrilled with herself when she putted successfully! |
 |
| Goofing off |
 |
| An apt picture given all the shenanigans of the day! |
I did take a few hours off one day to visit with the family. Moira loves "The Monster at the End of the Book" story with Grover. Thanks to Grandma Jean, she could recite it by the end of the week. I had a great time catching up with my cousins as well. I love the Virginia crew--we always have a great time when we get together.
Many people stop me...wherever I am...when I am with Moira to tell me how much we look alike. Before heading home, we stopped at a mall to kill a little bit of time. Moira is just beginning to get into "dressing up," and she wanted to dress up just like me when I tried on a dress. So, here's a very cute picture of my mini-me.
Comments