Moira's 2nd Birthday Party!
Can you believe Moira is 2 years old? Neither can we. We decided to have a relatively low-key birthday party at my parents' house to celebrate. Uncle Gavin had just arrived from the U.K. for a visit, and we invited a few friends as well as our family. Because I had been in D.C. for work the entire week prior to her birthday weekend, I had a lot of work to do to get ready. So, I was happy to put Moira down for a nap in the early afternoon before the party started in the early evening. While I did manage to get everything ready for the party, unfortunately, Moira would not go to sleep. It was like she knew something exciting was going on. Why is it always on the days you really want them to take a long nap that they won't?!
But Moira was in a good mood on the whole, so we didn't worry about it too much. The kids arrived; they played around downstairs, and everything seemed fine. Until dinner, that is, when she started nodding off! And I mean, she had food on her plate or halfway in her mouth, and she's totally falling asleep. I couldn't believe it. I thought we were just going to have to forget the whole birthday cake and gifts thing...

On the one hand, it was really funny. On the other hand, I felt bad for her. So, we decided to take her in the back for a quick cat nap. But, of course, Moira doesn't want to miss a minute of anything, so she came back out five minutes later. She had been really fussy, but then it seemed like she just wanted to have fun, and she held on the rest of the night. Needless to say, the rest of the party was quick.
It was a barnyard animals theme this year, and Kate made an excellent little piggy cake for Moira. When it came to sing "Happy Birthday," Moira got that spooked out look in her eyes--she was definitely trying to figure out "what is going on?"
She does know how to sing happy birthday, and one of these days, we'll get it on video. She sings "happy dirthday to you." It's very cute. But she still gets very quiet when other people sing to her. As soon as the singing was over and I blew out the candles with her, she stuck her fingers right into the black-icing pig nose (of course).
Moira still struggles with really cold food, like ice cream. She makes a terrible face, and then opens up her mouth and asks for more. It's pretty funny.
Treva and Kirk, Dave and Emily (and their two children), and Kate and Scott were all there to celebrate. Uncle Gav made a special appearance, and of course, my mom and dad were there too.
When Moira started opening gifts, Claire and Jack became much more interested in the festivities. They were very anxious to assist in opening presents, and they all took a turn on the popular Rody bouncy thing. They were very cute, though, and we were glad they could come. Speaking of glad, Emily was thrilled that I handed out balloon noisemakers to her kids (okay, not really). Moira thought they were so funny, as did Jack, and he was sounding them off all the way out the front door.
Moira also received a shopping cart as a gift. She likes pushing around "big baby" in the new shopping cart. Pretty much anything that involves a "baby" she likes. It was a fitting end to a long day ;)








Comments