Meeting Julian in Olympia
I had been promising my dear friend Sarah and her husband Dave that we would visit them in Olympia for such a long time, but the perfect opportunity finally arose for a quick weekend away after their son, Julian, was born in January. We made the difficult decision for me to go out solo, so Alan and Moira remained behind. The picture below is a great one of Julian. Isn't he adorable?
Once I arrived, I was introduced to the beautiful scenery of the Pacific Northwest (which reminds me in many ways of the U.K. because of its lush greenery, flowers, and rain) and....some amazingly bad traffic. But we'll focus on the beauty for a moment. The picture of Mt. Ranier is taken from Sarah's neighborhood in Olympia, Washington. And the scenery on the plane is some of the prettiest I've seen.
Leaving Moira and Alan at home meant I really had time to focus on Sarah, Dave, and Julian. They planned an excellent weekend for me. We dined out at a great local seafood place, browsed the local farmers' market, went to a roller derby (a first for me but very fun), shopped a bit, and went on a couple of nice walks.
Once I arrived, I was introduced to the beautiful scenery of the Pacific Northwest (which reminds me in many ways of the U.K. because of its lush greenery, flowers, and rain) and....some amazingly bad traffic. But we'll focus on the beauty for a moment. The picture of Mt. Ranier is taken from Sarah's neighborhood in Olympia, Washington. And the scenery on the plane is some of the prettiest I've seen.
Leaving Moira and Alan at home meant I really had time to focus on Sarah, Dave, and Julian. They planned an excellent weekend for me. We dined out at a great local seafood place, browsed the local farmers' market, went to a roller derby (a first for me but very fun), shopped a bit, and went on a couple of nice walks.
Honestly, Sarah and Dave must know I like to travel because I felt like a tourist the entire weekend. They were amazing hosts. But I have to admit that the best times for me were the quiet times where we had a chance to catch up on our lives and marvel at how much things have changed over the last few years. This last picture sums up all of those quieter moments. It turns out that you really can find joy in the simplest of things.
Comments