New Holiday Traditions

When I was a little girl, we used to go to the downtown L.S. Ayres tea room to have breakfast with Santa, and afterwards we would ride the Santa Express train and meet Santa in person to tell him how nice (not naughty) we were and the long list of gifts we wanted for Christmas.


Fast forward to 2009. L.S. Ayres vacated downtown Indianapolis long ago, but the Indiana State Museum has reinvented Breakfast with Santa for little girls of the 21st century like Moira. The event is still steeped in some of the same traditions I remember from when I was small, but introducing Moira and Alan to Breakfast with Santa added the perfect new twist to my nostalgia.



After breakfast we rode the same train I rode last year with Moira when she was just a wee little thing, and once again both Alan and I were taken aback by how delighted she was by everything she encountered. She charmed the waitress (and my mom, dad, and sister) at breakfast, flirted with Santa (when I was her age I screamed my head off), and was utterly mesmerized by the little train ride.



As we were riding home and Moira was dozing off after her eventful morning, both Alan and I marveled at how far we've come in the last year and how much fun we're having with our baby girl!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random Moments

To Hannah, With Love

Time flies!