August in Indy
How can you tell it's August in Indy? Is it the hot, muggy days? Or the Mass Ave. Fringe Festival? Or maybe the start of the Colts preseason? Well, all of these things do indeed say August to me, but the one that says August to thousands of people throughout Indiana is the State Fair.
I'm not sure how it is for people who live in other parts of the U.S. (or the U.K. for that matter), but here in Indy, the State Fair is a pretty big event. It's essentially a feast for all the senses--from the lights of the Midway, to the taste of fair foods ranging from pork bbq to chocolate-covered bacon, to the sounds (and smells) of farm animals from all over rural Indiana. Obviously with so much going on, I couldn't resist taking Moira. And I had extra incentive because Kate and her architecture team put together an "Canstruction" entry called "Up, Up, and Away" in honor of the hot air balloon race held every year. Their participation in the event helps bring awareness to hunger in Indy and beyond, and all of the cans are donated to a local food bank. Pretty cool. And we finished off the day by stopping at the old Hooks pharmacy (which wil alwaysl remind me of my dad and the many years that he worked for Hooks) and having a fountain soda with ice cream. Perfect!

Outside of the fair, we've been enjoying the last lazy days of summer. It was great to see our friends Sarah and Dave (in from Olympia, WA)--I was so excited to let Sarah borrow my maternity clothes (due in January sometime)! And Moira is too cute right now. She has 6 teeth! Four on top, two on bottom. She climbs up on everything, although she's still not walking. She definitely has a mind of her own too. She loves to eat peas. I think she ate half a cup today (she's like her father). My favorite antic to see her do right now is wiggle her little bottom in beat to whatever music is playing. It's so funny!
I'm not sure how it is for people who live in other parts of the U.S. (or the U.K. for that matter), but here in Indy, the State Fair is a pretty big event. It's essentially a feast for all the senses--from the lights of the Midway, to the taste of fair foods ranging from pork bbq to chocolate-covered bacon, to the sounds (and smells) of farm animals from all over rural Indiana. Obviously with so much going on, I couldn't resist taking Moira. And I had extra incentive because Kate and her architecture team put together an "Canstruction" entry called "Up, Up, and Away" in honor of the hot air balloon race held every year. Their participation in the event helps bring awareness to hunger in Indy and beyond, and all of the cans are donated to a local food bank. Pretty cool. And we finished off the day by stopping at the old Hooks pharmacy (which wil alwaysl remind me of my dad and the many years that he worked for Hooks) and having a fountain soda with ice cream. Perfect!
Outside of the fair, we've been enjoying the last lazy days of summer. It was great to see our friends Sarah and Dave (in from Olympia, WA)--I was so excited to let Sarah borrow my maternity clothes (due in January sometime)! And Moira is too cute right now. She has 6 teeth! Four on top, two on bottom. She climbs up on everything, although she's still not walking. She definitely has a mind of her own too. She loves to eat peas. I think she ate half a cup today (she's like her father). My favorite antic to see her do right now is wiggle her little bottom in beat to whatever music is playing. It's so funny!
Comments