Way to go Kate!
I thought I'd write about something other than our daughter today...
Well, I do have one quick report to make. Yesterday she had her first shots at the doctor, and I thought it would be very traumatic, but it wasn't. She was very brave. I guess that a couple of little shots aren't really that big of a deal after the trauma of birth! She is growing amazingly fast. Since she was born two months ago, she is three pounds heavier (the only time in life when it's good to gain weight), two inches longer (that is a lot--what if all of a sudden I went from 5'2" to 5'4"?!), and her head is 1.75 inches bigger. The only bad news is that the poor girl definitely has a receding hair line!
Now, on to the real purpose of this blog. My sister was recently an integral part of this event called Light The Way. Held on December 4th (when it was about 10 degrees outside), it was the culmination of a community art project.

An artist by the name of Tom Torleumke came up with the project idea and a few Fridays in the fall at
the Harrison center for the Arts, people were asked to come and drill these old pepsi barrels to create luminaries. Then Tom and his crew, as well as King Park Area Development corporation (Kate sits on the board for this not-for-profit) and the Indianapolis Arts council (who funded the project) came together with the community for the event at the Kennedy King Park at 17th and Broadway (not far from where both Kate and I live). They helped set it up and provided hot chocolate, cookies, caroling, and the amazing luminaries. At about 6pm people started arriving, 150 people attended, and Kate reported that it was just awesome.
The park has a rich history in the community. It is the site wh
ere Robert Kennedy gave his speech the night King was assassinated. What is even more interesting is that my mom was there the night Bobby Kennedy gave that speech. Sadly the park has had little attention as it is somewhat in the “hood” but we both hope it is on the rise again with recent redevelopment.
Kurtis Bowersock took the photos. He was Kate's wedding photographer and decided to come out and shoot this event for free (www.kurtisbphoto.com). I am very proud of my sister and her involvement in the community. And her barrel (the Indianapolis one pictured above) is beautiful as well and can be seen lit at my parents' house this Christmas. Way to go Kate!
Comments